Sunday, May 17, 2009

Front yard garden?


Our lawn is slowly being taken over with weeds... Creeping Charlie (which I think is pretty... shhhh, don't tell my husband), Dandelions, and some various mystery weeds. We won't use chemicals, both because I don't want my son to be harmed, and for environmental reasons. I do, however, like to have a nice looking yard. I've been mulling this over for some time now, and think I will have a front yard garden. Yep, no grass at all! I will just extend out my flower beds slowly until there is no more grass! What do you think? I'm picturing stuff like what is currently in my flower beds (low shrubs, ground covers, bulbs... see pics below), along with mint & other herbs to repel insects, and fruits & veggies mixed in (don't want it to look like crops, but will love the extra garden space!). I will put mulch down, and have flagstone walking paths in between for the mailman, etc. The mulch we get free from our city (the chipper trucks make the mulch from the brush that is picked up), I get compost from our composters, and many of the plants I will just take out of my flower beds & spread them out. I was going to give away some of my ground covers that are taking over, but now I can use them. It will cost almost nothing, and will be fun. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. hi kris!
    i love your new blog and your garden!
    :) melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those yards look pretty when they're taken care of. I just don't have the inclination to do so. (Thus I have a front yard with no grass, no plants, no flowers ... just wood chips.) At least I don't have to mow it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it´s a good idea. And planting stuff like red radishes or ruccola is especially nice, as it grows so fast and can also be a kids project;-)They just love to watch it growing and also the harvesting.

    ReplyDelete