Saturday, April 9, 2011

The raised garden is ready!

I decided on tan split face cinder blocks with pavers on top, and i'm glad I did! It looks so much nicer than plain cinder blocks. First I laid them out, leveling them as best as I could as I went. It isn't a giant sized garden... that shovel & wheelbarrow are my son's ;)


I sprinkled cinnamon all around the cinder blocks & garden area to prevent ants. Then I laid down newspaper to prevent any weeds that were below from coming up. A farmer I met at a nutrition seminar gave me that tip. Thanks, Farmer Jim!


After that I had the newspaper in place, and wet it so the breeze wouldn't blow it away, I added the pavers to the top of the cinder blocks.


Since the cinder blocks are 16" long, and the pavers were 15 1/4, I ended up with some smaller spaces to fill, and used bricks & paver pieces I had in the yard. It won't win any awards, but I don't think it looks too bad!


I added the soil, then my helpers helped me get get the compost in from our composter. Thanks helpers!


One helper was nice enough to stick around & help me spread it out.


I can't wait to plant!

No comments:

Post a Comment